Thursday 8 July 2021

The turning point

Why do you turn to FIRE? Why are you saving for retirement? Most people I know, don't seem to want to plan/save for retirement yet?

I was thinking what was my turning point? It was probably started due to me having a tumor in 2013. I had surgeries, and have since mostly recovered. Before the tumor, I was quite a workaholic. I vividly remembered a conversation I had with my brother who was working with me in my previous company (He was in another department. We both have since left.). I was having lunch with him (forgot where, parents or workplace?) when I was asking him some work related stuff. He answered my questions disinterestedly. When he realized that I had more questions, he commented that he didn't want to talk about work during his meal time.

Now, my priorities have changed. I realized that if I suddenly pass away, I will have regrets.

On his/her death beds, no one will regret that he should have worked longer hours, take lesser breaks etc. Your colleagues, friends even will probably be sad for a while, but your family will be sad or even suffer for a long time.

I know one of the things I will regret is not spending time with my parents. Now, I try to see them twice a week, and chit chat about things, memories, instead of fiddling with my handphone. Don't wait till they are no longer around.

No comments:

Post a Comment