Friday 9 July 2021

Securing my family's financial security

I was looking at https://www.my15hourworkweek.com/2021/04/13/the-six-steps-of-the-wealth-ladder/ (again), and thinking that I have probably secured my family's financial security. The family's net worth have reached a point (currently about 10x annual expenses) where I think we will be able to maintain our current lifestyle (till the kids start working, and by then CPF Life will soon kick in) even if I got retrenched and forced to take a lower paying job. 

This is a post that I constantly re-read to motivate/remind myself.

I am highlighting the most important paragraph to me here.

The trinity study assumes a retiree will:

  • never earn any more money through part-time work or self-employment projects
  • never collect a single dollar from social security or any other pension plan
  • never adjust spending to account for economic reality like a huge recession
  • never substitute goods to compensate for inflation or price fluctuation (vacation in a closer place one year during  an oil price spike, or switch to almond milk in the event of a dairy milk embargo).
  • never collect any inheritance from the passing of parents or other family members
  • and never do what most old people tend to do according to studies – spend less as they age
It tells me that 25x annual expenses is very safe to retire on. Let's hope I will really dare to retire then!

*I have reached FRS for my CPF and working towards FRS for J. Upon the age of 55 (16 and 19 years away), I fully intend to top up both CPF to ERS such that we can each have a draw down of $2k (in today's money) when we hit 55.


We will be able to get $4k~ (H and J) per month when J hits 65. $4k should be mostly sufficient then.


3 comments:

  1. Sad to say, 25X only works for the US or Canadian retiree and the Trinity study has a few conditions that are dangerous to extrapolate to Singapore's context without adaptation. 33X is probably a better figure to aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanguard's updated 4% rule: https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGFIRE.pdf

    ReplyDelete